Sunday, October 31, 2010

Vinomania, My Favorite Wine Store

Vinomania is awesome and well worth seeking out.

When I first moved here and didn't know the area well, I kept seeing signs for this place and then forgetting where it was when I wanted to go back. I finally did see the signs when I was ready to buy some wine and I stopped in. I'm glad I did.


I'd had this wine at Alto Cinco, a 2007 Callera Chardonnay. I tried to find it in a couple of wine stores, and I finally found one that would order it for me, if I ordered one case at 19.00 per bottle and paid an ordering fee. But when I went in and asked Gary, the owner of Vinomania about it, he told me if I liked that one, he had one that I would probably like just as much and it was only 9.99 a bottle. He was right!

He explained to me that the vineyards were in the same part of California and produced similar grapes because of the weather conditions. So now I know that if I like a type of wine from a certain area, try that type of wine from nearby areas and I'll probably like it too.

That seems very elementary but how long have I been shopping in wine stores and no one ever told me that?

Gary is good at recommending wines that go with certain foods too. It's not just expensive wines either - I've been in stores where they seem to steer their recommendations to pricy bottles. One of the wines he pointed out to me was a 6.99 Savignon Blanc from Australia, and my guests raved about it.

Vinomania is officially the coolest store in Syracuse. Would you look at this place? I just love it. The first time I walked through here I felt like I was home. Gary has a collection of cool stuff to rival mine, and he's got a better place to display it.



This is my current favorite - it's a nice buttery chardonnay from the central coast of California. It's very similar to the wine I first came in for and it's only $8.99 per bottle!

The store is located in Nettleton Commons, which is an old shoe factory that was converted into shops and offices. It's close to the Columbus Bakery and Thanos Greek imports.

No comments: