Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ocean Sushi in Liverpool

Ocean Sushi is a small sushi restaurant in a strip mall on Route 57 in Liverpool, New York. It's right next to the Starbucks.
I have heard this place gets really crowded. My husband and I went there at around 5:30 on a Saturday in September. There was only one other table occupied when we got there, and only one other party came in while we were eating.

It's basically your average upstate NY sushi bar. The sushi was good, not great, average in price. Service was prompt and pleasant. You'd expect service to be like that if the place is pretty much empty, however that is not always the case. The server was a young man who seemed very confused by me ordering a glass of wine - like this had never happened before. It was an average house wine type chardonnay for about six bucks and it was not chilled. But as I frequently drink white wine at room temperature, I didn't really care.

Ocean sushi also has a full bar, where they were showing sports. Thankfully the sound on the TV was off. I don't mind watching sports but I don't like listening to them while eating, and I sure don't like listening to TV commercials while dining out. Thanks Ocean Sushi, for keeping the sound down.
We got a tempura vegetable appetizer. It was good, not fantastic but we enjoyed it.
Sushi is served on a big boat. The menu has a mixture of fancy rolls like dragon rolls and caterpillar rolls and all the regular rolls like california rolls and plain fish rolls.
One roll that was unique was the spring roll, sushi wrapped in a spring roll wrapper like Vietnamese cold rolls come in. It had sweet sauce on it.

For 2 glasses of warm chardonnay, a soft drink, tempura appetizer and sushi it was around 70 dollars. I felt we got good value for the money and I would return.

I would post a link to their menu or web page here, but as far as I can tell they do not have one online.

They do however, have a Facebook page. It's an example of how not to do a Facebook page for your restaurant.

Social media is about interaction. What they did was just put up a page and ignore it. It's got people asking questions, people posting photos of the food, people saying they like the place and it even has the CNY Menus guy asking for a menu to put on his site! Also, it's got spam.

We have been thinking of eating at this place for a while now. I actually joined their Facebook page back in April and asked them if they had a menu online! No answer. If they had answered, I would have been reminded of their restaurant and probably eaten there sooner.

Added July 1, 2011 Link to Ocean Sushi Liverpool NY Menu from CNY Menus -



View Larger Map

No comments: