Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tipp Hill Irish Festival at St. Pats (and a little bit of Ukranian Festival)

Last weekend I attended the Tipp Hill Irish Fest at St. Patrick's Church. This was after our trip to the Erie Canal (it's funny I just wrote that as Eire Canal and had to go back and correct it. I guess I have Ireland on the brain today.) Anyway, I had seen signs for this festival for weeks and had wanted to go. My husband was to tired after the canal trip so I had to walk down there by myself. Luckily it was not far and I enjoyed the walk despite being sore and tired from my long walk earlier that day.

I was tempted not to go, though I had wanted to go I was tired and it would have been easy to stay at home. So I looked up the festival and found out what band was playing. It was The Town Pants, and I read about them and decided to go see them.

I was surprised that a lot of the festival was taken up with gambling. They had roulette, a lottery, what looked like a poker game.

They had tents to sell alcohol, but sadly for me only beer and Mike's hard lemonade. I am allergic to hops so I can't drink beer! Hard lemonade is made with malt, and malt beverages give me a headache. So I didn't spend any money at the beer tent, and I am not exactly a gambler. But I do like Irish Music! I did enjoy the Town Pants, they were a fun band. I love traditional Irish and Celtic music and this is one of those bands that have it as a strong influence. They were also funny between songs, with a lot of friendly patter and joking around.

Here is a video I took!

The band took a break and then the Irish Dance School Dancers came out. I've seen the same dancers doing the same dances at several other Syracuse events but they are still enjoyable. I think it was the Butler-Sheehan school of Irish Dance and I think someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I wanted to stay for the second set of the Town Pants but I really was tired so I walked home and went to bed!

The Ukrainian Festival was on that night at St John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church which is close to my house. They had music too, and there was a point where I could hear both festival's music playing at the same volume when I was walking home.

The next day in the afternoon, we went to the Ukrainian festival. I wanted to try some Ukrainian food. My husband doesn't much care for Eastern European cuisine of any type except possibly Sausages but somehow I convinced him to go. Well the joke was on me because they were totally out of Ukrainian food and just had Sausages and hamburgers! I did have a sausage. I was very hungry and it was incredibly good. They also had a bake sale and my husband bought us several different sweet things to share which I enjoyed, some sort of apple bread, chocolate cake, and chocolate chip cookies. I don't think they were necessarily Ukrainian, but they were delicious.

They had Ukrainian music at the festival, and children dancing. I liked it but it didn't do it for me like Irish music and dancing does.

Next year I'm going to the Ukrainian festival on Saturday so I can eat Ukrainian food.

No comments: