Friday, April 10, 2009

Alto Cinco

I'm originally from California, and one of the things I miss is good Mexican food in the California Style. Alto Cinco is not specifically the type of food I miss, but it's so good it kind of fills that void. It's a restaurant which would not be out of place in California, with it's wide range of vegetarian and vegan menu items, it's wine list and the general ambiance of the place.

I've eaten there about 10 times. So that means I've sampled 10 of their dishes right? No, sorry, I'm a bad restaurant reviewer. Every time I have gotten the same thing because I like it so much. It is the Barbeque Tofu Burrito. Every time I go there I tell myself I'm going to try something new and every time I get the same thing.

I am not vegetarian, nor am I a big fan of Tofu. But somehow this one is so well done, with firm chunks of firm cooked tofu which you would never mistake for meat but do have a satisfying chewiness usually absent from these type of dishes. I love the small amount of chipotle BBQ sauce on top, just enough. It's got black beans, rice and salsa inside also.

It comes with a small salad, which I like, and cornbread, which I don't like. The cornbread is sweet and has jalapenos in it, not a good combination for me. However I have a friend who really likes it so don't let me discourage you.

You can see in the picture that I started eating before I took it. I meant to wait but when the waiter put the plate in front of me a primal instinct took over and I dug in.


Next time I go I will try something else, I swear!

Alto Cinco Restaurant

3 comments:

Mick said...

I have to admit that I haven't been there for quite a while. Now you've made me hungry!

Josef Lorenz said...

i'm the same way! i've been there a few times over the last year and i usually anticipate trying something i haven't had before, but by the time i sit down, i somehow always fall back on the california burrito (it's got tons of guacamole. mmm). they even put a little slice of it sticking out of the middle of the burrito. it's so good.

Melissa said...

Well, maybe next time I go there I will try that California Burrito. I love guacamole and I'm originally from California.