Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cat and Fish Resist

This painting is a new technique I'm trying out. It's done with resist. First the foreground images are painted, then they are covered with the resist. It's a rubbery substance a little like rubber cement. Then the background is painted. When the whole thing is dry, the resist is rubbed off and the details are painted on with acrylic.

I like the way it turned out, I think it has a different feel to it than the paintings I've done with the main images painted over an existing background. I left a white border around the images, partially because I like that look but also because it's very hard to get the resist exactly over the picture!

This is an 8x10 watercolor, pencil and acrylic on paper.

I'm planning to start selling my art again soon. Some of it will be for cat charities and then some of it for myself! I just haven't worked out the details of what and where yet.

No comments: